Asphalt shingle roofing systems are composed of many different parts that work together to protect your home from the elements. In today’s post, local roofing contractor Gulf Coast Roofing highlights the key components of an asphalt shingle roof.
1. Framing — The framing is the roof’s skeleton and defines its shape and structure. Framing consists of structural components such as rafters and trusses, dictates the roof slope, and defines the number of planes the entire roof will have. It has to be built with treated timber to prevent damage caused by heat and moisture.
2. Decking — The decking, or roof deck, is made of boards nailed to the rafters, which create a flat surface for other parts of the roof to be fastened to during roof replacement. The boards are typically thick plywood or OSB (oriented strand board). Roofing styles with exposed ceilings utilize tongue-and-groove decking.
3. Underlayment — Underlayment, or felt, is a barrier that’s installed over the roof deck. It protects the wood parts of the roof structure from water infiltration in case the outer shingles are damaged or torn off.
4. Starter Strips — The starter strip is the first row of shingles on every roofing plane. It’s made of the same material as the rest of the roof, but instead of shingle pieces, it comes as a single roll of material. Starter strips are reinforced with adhesive to enhance resistance against wind damage and moisture infiltration at the roof’s edge.
5. Asphalt Shingles — The main body of the roof is covered with asphalt shingles. Installation begins from the bottom and goes up to the ridges. This ensures proper coverage and the right amount of overlap.
6. Flashing — Flashing is made of metal and protects vulnerable areas such as dormers, valleys and other breaks on the roofing plane. Another type of flashing called rubber boots protect the base of vent pipes and similar protrusions.
7. Attic Ventilation — A standard attic ventilation system consists of exhaust vents located at the ridges and intake vents located at the soffits. Proper attic ventilation helps prevent damage to the roofing structure caused by heat and moisture by keeping the attic cool.
Gulf Coast Roofing is your leading provider of roofing services, including roof coating installation. Give us a call at (850) 465-7663. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment