Asphalt shingles have been the go-to roofing option of property owners for many years. This type of roof covering is considered a valuable investment to any home, as well as an effective protection against harsh weather elements. To help you understand this material better, here are six fast facts from roofing contractor Gulf Coast Roofing.
1. Asphalt shingles were an American invention. First used in the early 1900s, the asphalt roof shingles became increasingly popular due to nationwide efforts to eliminate the use of wood shingles, a roof system known to be susceptible to fire. Asphalt shingles are now widely used in North America.
2. There are two types of base materials used to make asphalt shingles. First, organic asphalt shingles use waste paper or wood fiber as their base, while fiberglass shingles use fiberglass mat. Fiberglass shingles are more water resistant and fire resistant, making them the more expensive option.
3. Asphalt shingles can be solar reflecting. Roof replacement companies offer solar reflective shingles that have the ability to keep building interiors cooler, therefore reducing air conditioning costs particularly in areas with warmer climates.
4. Asphalt shingles are durable. Depending on the quality of material and installation, asphalt shingles can have an impressively long service life of 15 to 40 years. However, some shingle manufacturers offer long-term warranties ranging from 25 to 50 years, or even a lifetime.
5. Shingles were once made with asbestos. Fire safety codes in North America dictate that roofing materials should offer a level of fire resistance. However, shingles containing asbestos were phased out in the 1960s. Since then, asphalt shingles were made fire resistant using safer mineral stabilizers.
6. Regular removal of debris and organic growth can prolong the lifespan of asphalt shingle roofs. If not maintained, the persistent cycles of wet and dry conditions can speed up the deterioration process of asphalt shingles. Applying a roof coating specifically designed to be used on asphalt shingles can extend the life of an old asphalt roof.
Planning to remodel your home’s exterior? Turn to Gulf Coast Roofing, a premier source of high quality shingles, metal, and flat roof services. Call us at (850) 203-2270 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation.